iTunes & iPad FAQ and Help
iPad/iTunes FAQ & Help
1. What is the difference between the DVD version and the iPad/iTunes edition?
The workshops that are made available through iTunes are identical to the content on the physical DVDs we ship but are in the original High Definition resolution. The workshops are encoded as QuickTime movies at a resolution of 1280 x 720 and playable on Macs & PCs. Within iTunes, the movies can even be backed up to external media.
2. Do I need iTunes to watch the workshops?
No. iTunes is only necessary for downloading the workshops. Once the workshops have been downloaded, you can either watch them directly in iTunes, on your iPad, your iPhone, or you can watch them using Apple’s QuickTime player or any compatible video player. The downloaded movies reside in your iTunes library at this location: User/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Podcasts
3. Do I need to be online to watch the workshop?
The workshops do not have any digital rights management (DRM) associated with them. You can watch them anytime you wish because the files are actually on your local hard drive (see above). If you have Apple TV, it’s a great way to watch them in high definition on you TV.
4. How does it work?
Once you have purchased, the receipt page will contain a link to “Download Now”. Also, an email will be sent to you containing a link to the iTunes feed. To access the movies in iTunes, follow the steps below:
1. Click the Podcasts icon in the iTunes menu.
2. Click the My Podcasts button to display the podcast.
3. Click the Feed button to view your workshops. Some workshops contain two parts – “In the Field” and “In the Studio”. You may need to click the Cloud icon in the list to begin downloading the second part if your preferences are not set to download all podcasts.
4. Click on the Download icon to view to see the progress bar and remaining download time for each workshop.
If for some reason the link does not automatically open iTunes, you can copy the link in the email, then in iTunes choose, Subscribe to Podcast from the File Menu. Paste the url into the window that appears and press Return. The downloaded workshops will appear in the Podcasts section of your iTunes library.
5. How long will it take to download the movies?
The QuickTime files range in size depending on the workshop purchased. Because we are offering all the workshops in high definition resolution, file sizes are large, ranging from 2GB up to 5GB. Below are some estimates based on common internet connection speeds:
- 800 kb/sec = 32 minutes
- 1500 kb/sec = 17 minutes
- 2500 kb/sec = 9 minutes
To check your connection speed, visit http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/ 6. How do I back up the workshops? Create a playlist for the workshop, then drag the workshop from the podcast directory into the playlist. Click the Burn Disc icon in the lower right corner of the iTunes window. Alternately, you can choose Back Up to Disc from the File Menu and have the workshops backed up with your entire iTunes library. 7. What if disaster strikes? If for any reason you lose your workshops do to hard drive failure, loss or murphy’s law, just contact us at masterphotoworkshops.com and once we’ve verified your purchase, we’ll send you a new link to the files. 8. Where can I find additional help? For all other concerns or specific questions not addressed in this FAQ, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org